I have read and seen many comments about the events that occurred on 9-11-01. I wasn't going post anything about it, but when my husband e-mailed me with his thoughts, I figured that I could share what I thought as well.
I remember that it was a clear, crisp, Tuesday morning and my friend Jennifer called me on the phone as I was getting ready to leave for allergy shots. She told me to turn on the TV. I watched for a minute, but it wasn't clear what was really happening. As I drove to the Navy Hospital, I listened to the radio and things began to unfold. They announced that all civilian air traffic was being grounded and an uneasy feeling came over me as I saw airplanes circling to land at our local airport. What if they are part of the plan of attack?
When I arrived at the hospital, it was unusually quiet as people gathered around the TV in each clinic waiting area. I remember the shock I felt as the 2nd tower collapsed live on the television. I don't even remember if I got my shot, I just wanted to get back home and gather my kids and husband and be safe. On the way home, my cell phone started ringing off the hook by military officials asking me to call different commands and give information to their ombudsmen. I was a force ombudsman for the Navy Air Force Atlantic Fleet and had helped families of the USS Cole bombing just 11 months prior. All of our local military bases went into lockdown. Kirk was stationed aboard the USS Ronald Reagan, which was still being built. He was involved in the lockdown and couldn't come home. I don't even think that he could call until late in the day. It was a very tearful and uneasy week.
I didn't personally know anybody who perished in the events of that day, but as a military spouse, I feel like it effects our family since our life revolves around the defense of our nation. I am grateful to the first responders, the military, and my heart goes out to the families of 9-11 victims. I hope we never take for granted the freedom that we have and the price we have paid for that freedom.
2 comments:
I can imagine how much more stressful that was for those in the military than the rest of us. I am so glad your family was safe.
I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I found out about the towers but I never wrote it down. Now I think I should.
Post a Comment